Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Saw a scene at Home Depot today that made me sad

I was in line behind a family consisting of: A "father" (I use the term father lightly because dude was nothing more than scum to me), a wife or significant other (who was very timid looking and quiet) and a little girl about 3 years old.

The "father" was standing in line and looked like a combination of a white-trash wannabe gangster. He had slicked back hair, a "Reams" tee shirt, and some huge baggy pants. He was dirty and stinky.

His little girl didn't appear to be doing anything crazy or out of the ordinary that any other little kids would do. In fact, I would say she was more behaved than 75% of other kids her age I see in stores.

As her mother and her were standing about 10' from her dad (who had a big cart of cement bags), she was just kind of singing little songs and rocking back and forth. She ran over by her dad's cart and it looked like just to be close to him, and he grabbed her by the arm. It looked like he was going to squeeze her arm right off. The little girl had tears just well up in her eyes and looked so innocent. The dad said something about her going back and standing by her mom. The mother didn't make a peep, nor did it look like she really cared.

I wanted to take that little girl and bring her home with me. I felt so sad knowing that she is going to grow up with parents like that, who likely regret even having her. I was also saddened at myself, for not having the balls enough to pipe up and do something, but I was thinking that I had no business intervening. That poor little girl didn't do anything crazy at all.

The other thing that pissed me off was how he treated the cashier, who was obviously from an African country (he spoke pretty broken english). The cashier was having problems with the customer before Mr. White-Trash/Gangster (aka WTG). He was taking a while to resolve it and Mr. Trash/Gangster was sitting back there raising his voice about how slow the cashier was. Once the cashier got to him to scan his bags of cement, he asked Mr. WTG how many bags he had. The WTG said it kind of quiet, so the cashier asked again and the WTG about ripped his head off with his 2nd response.

It made me sick to know there are people like him out there.

I'm so thankful for the life I've lived after seeing that. I don't want to come off judgemental, because I'm sure it has something to do with the way he was raised. It's just that I'm upset with this dude and the way he tries so hard to be angry. He has a beautiful daughter, whom I'm sure just wants his affection and he treats her like crap.

Anyway, that is my rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment