Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Falling gas prices

Man, what a drop in prices huh? I could not believe it the other day when I went to fill up my truck and it stopped around $39.50. I thought for sure the nozzle malfunctioned, so I pulled the lever and it filled about $0.25 more and stopped again. I could not believe I was paying less than $40 to fill up the tank (I was on empty). Just to have a little fun, I topped it off enough right at $40, just to kind of feel normal I guess.

Today I was running an errand for work and again, saw gas around $1.85. I immediately got excited and thought, "do I need gas? should I top off my tank?". Then reality set in and I noticed I still have 3/4 of a tank left.

I hope these prices stay low. I'm not an economics guy, so I have no idea how this is happening, but I do know that OPEC controls the prices, so it must be pressure from the world to lower the price per barrel? I have a buddy who is in with some oil people and when prices got really high, he predicted oil would drop below $70 a barrel before Christmas, and they're now at $60. He based his prediction off both inside information and some sort of formula he uses. He is now predicting that oil could drop down to $30 a barrel. I sure hope he's right. I can't stand the thought of having to drive my subaru camping. I would much rather drive the truck.

On a similar note, I am shocked that a bunch of pirates are able to take over a tanker with millions of gallons of oil and get away with it. They take it to their port in Somalia, then hold it "ransom"? Don't we have some super cool ninja soldiers that could bum-rush that ship and just take it back over? Of course, there is the deal with it possibly being rigged with explosives?

Still shocks me that these people can get away with it. I say send a few missle's to teh ship, blow it to nothing. Sure, it's a waste of a ship, but it would send a message. I know, I know. What about the environment. OK, nevermind.

Here is an article on the ship that has been taken over by "pirates":

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE4AH1FV20081118

No comments:

Post a Comment