Monday, February 06, 2006

Alene posted this on her blog

and I REALLY liked it:

Benjamin Blood.

Today I was processing the visa for a young man with the name Benjamin Blood. I don't know why, but I thought it was a cool last name. Blood is life, love, death, God and heaven.

The Maya buried their dead in coffins that were painted red inside for blood and shaped like a womb to symbolize rebirth. They believe the earth was connected to heaven through an umbilical cord. That is such a vibrant and alive notion of heaven and God I love it.

When I was in Israel we went to where the Samaritans worship. They still perform animal sacrifices and my instructor went into detail about how these were done. At first I was repelled by the vulgar description, and why would God require such brutality? Then I thought of something else that is so bloody, but so incredibly beautiful, and that is childbirth.

Isn't it fascinating how bloody everything is?

No comments:

Post a Comment