Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Tender moment

I was just thinking about a tender moment I had when working as a server at Spaghettie Factory part time (I would work there after working my day job). At the time I was going through a divorce and was getting used to seeing my son only every other day. It was hard on me and it was hard wondering how Caiden was taking to all this. I was so concerned for him.

One night I was serving what appeared to me to be a single mother with her son who was about seven or eight years old. He was very polite and quiet and was just sitting there drawing. I took their order and when I'd refer to him as "buddy" and his eyes would light up. I remember when I walked away from their table, I could hear him quietly, but excitedly say to his mom "hey mom, he called me buddy". That moment really touched me and made me feel good that by saying that one word made him feel like a million bucks.

I thought of Caiden and how much I wished I didn't have to work the second job to make ends meet. How I wish I could be with him instead. I think boys need their fathers in their lives. It really pains/upsets me when I see a situation where a father doesn't care to be around his children.

No comments:

Post a Comment