Saturday, February 14, 2009

R.I.P.

Henry Root
Fall 2007 - February 12, 2009

You will be missed....

IMG_0011-1

IMG_0013


So, this last Thursday I had put in a long day at work and had came home in time to grab something to eat, study for my math exam and head out the door. Just as I was getting ready to leave, Alene was getting Bailey down for bed and Caiden came up to me with a concerned look on his face. He said he was checking on Henry (as he does nightly before bed) and he said Henry was not moving or responding to anything. He also said, "and I can't see his head".

I was already late for my exam, but I ran down there with him to check. Sure enough Henry was stiff as a board and Caiden was right, you couldn't see his head because it was burried in his little bedding. I think Caiden thought his head had fallen off and that's how he died. This was the first time I had had to deal with the death of an animal with Caiden. I looked down at him and just told him I'm so sorry, but Henry has passed away. Caiden started to cry and asked how he died. I just told him that hamsters don't live more than 2 years, so Henry must have been really old and in pain, so he's better now.

It was tough. I gave Caiden a big hug, then told him Alene would be down in a bit. She finished consoling him and talked about how they could bury him, etc.

When I got back from my math exam, my brother Russ was over and he gave ideas about having a 6-gun salute for Henry, and even possibly laying an American flag over his body. We were cracking up at Russ' suggestions, but still felt bad for Caiden.

Rest in peace Henry.

Here is a letter Caiden wrote to him: Caiden's letter

Here are a few more pictures of our beloved Henry.

IMG_0003-2

IMG_1178

This was a memorable incident
Missing Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment