Sunday, September 07, 2008

Henry's adventures

Missing Henry

So, last week we found that Henry was no longer in his cage and it was clear he got out. He is kept on a countertop in the laundry room that sits about 42" off the ground. That has NEVER kept him from escaping if he could. In the past he has jumped of such heights in order to attempt to escape. The last time he escaped, we put his cage on the ground, filled it with food, and by the next morning we found him napping in his bedroom sound asleep. I did that this time, but he never came back.

After close to a week I figured we were doomed to start sensing the putrid smell of a dead hamster carcass, but as I was playing the xbox with Caiden, I had him run downstairs to get ready for FB practice and when he came up he said, "daddy, I just heard the most amazing sound coming from the laundry room: Henry". At first I thought it was wishful thinking on his part, so I didn't do much about it immediately (I was trying to finish a round of Call of Duty 4 on Xbox live). When my round was over, I gave Caiden the controller and went downstairs just by chance that it really was him. I walked in the laundry room and low and behold, I heard some shuffling around. I started pulling things out close to the wall and still could not see where he could be. Then I heard the noise in the trash can and I saw his little head poke up. He made a hissy/whiny sound toward me, as if he needed some serious help. I immediately grabbed his water feeder and he practically snatched it out of my hand and went to town sucking down water.

So, what must have happened was the trash can must have been out in front of the ledge of the countertop enough for him to land in there. It was loaded with a lot of dryer lint and blown insulation we had swept up from the last project we did a few weeks ago. He must have survived in there eating something, but I'm not sure what it would have been.

Anyway, here are some more pictures of Henry in the trash.

This is what the trash can looked like when I heard him shuffling around.

Missing Henry


This is him guzzling down water

Missing Henry

No comments:

Post a Comment