Sunday, September 07, 2008

Busier than I thought I would be

So, I've been pretty busy since Bailey was born, especially with it being Football season. She came on the second day of two-a-days, which somehow made me only miss one practice (a morning session). Alene was so good about allowing me to run off and tend to those duties.

I'm so thankful that I have a job that provides paternity leave. I get 1 week off for every year I've been with the company. I've been with them for 10 years, so you do the math.

Before the basement flood, I imagined my paternity leave days being filled with mountain biking in the mornings and lounging around catching up on sleep. It's been the exact opposite, but I honestly wouldn't want it any other way.

Anyway, Coaching is going well. I call the offense for the team this year, which is a different thing for me, being that I've been a defensive coordinator for the past 6 years I've coached. Our team is 1-1. We lost our first game 12-18 due to some bad turnovers by our RB's (3 fumbles), however one of the RB's ended up rushing for 274 yards and 2 TD's. Our second game was fun because we were down 6-20 at halftime, but in the second half we were able to use 4 of our sophomores that play up on Varsity (they are only allowed to play 1/2 of the Soph game, so we picked the second half). We ended up coming from behind to win 34-27 with these guys helping us out. They all start on the Varsity right now, so you can say it's a little disadvantage, but they're all still legitimate sophomores, so no skin off our back. We have a huge rivalry game with Highland this week. We have 6 kids that formerly played at Highland in their little league program, so it will be fun to see how that pans out.


Here is what my average day is like:

7am (ish) get up and get Caiden up, showered, and help him pick out clothes for school. Make his lunch and get him some breakfast.

8am (ish), lounge around with Alene and Bailey. Check email, waste time surfing the net. Prepare stuff for football (re-do depth chart, plan practice for that day, make notes on things that need to be improved)

9/10am to 1pm (ish) Work on the basement and try to get it ready. So far I have all the rooms sheetrocked and ready for paint except for the laundry room (not a big area) and the main room, which IS a big area, but should be easy.

2pm, leave for practice. Try to stay sane dealing with 34, 15 year olds

5:30pm, leave practice and head to Caiden's practice (which I'm an assistant coach on his team) which has already started

6-7:30pm, help coach 21, 8-9 year olds, which is even harder than the 15 year olds.

A couple of times a week I don't work on the basement and just go into work. I have to check in a couple of times as well as be available via my cell phone and the email I get on it.

Friday's can be even crazier because I'm at practice from 2:30 to 5, then break for dinner, then at the Varsity game from 6pm to 10pm or so. Saturday's are filled with Caiden's FB games and BYU FB games. There isn't a weekend this fall that is available until the end of November. It's hectic, but I LOVE it.

Anyway, it is a blast, but I feel bad for the time Alene and I don't have. She is very good about it, but it is hard for her too. I know she wants to support me, but it isn't easy.

We were able to take some time out on Saturday night and go to a drive-in movie with Bailey. We had the truck bed all decked out and cozy. It was a ton of fun and I look forward to doing it again, and next time I'll remember to get pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment