Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Movie Review: There will be Blood

I've come to the conclusion that I'll see any sort of movie by the following directors: PT Anderson, Michel Gondry, The Coen Brothers, or Spike Jonze.

There will be Blood was AMAZING. For starters, it's long and it wouldn't be an easy movie to watch over and over, but holy crap, it was so well-acted and shot photographically. Daniel Day Lewis is by far the best actor ever to grace the screen. The movie is about the early oil boom in southern California (most of the time I thought we were in Texas, but later found it was in CA). It basically shows the greed of man and how some people will give up on everything (family, friends, their soul) to have what they want. Greed was a big focus in this movie and it wasn't only greed for oil, it also focused on religion (pastor played VERY well by Paul Dano).

Speaking early of PT Anderson's photography (I know he didn't film it, but he's the director, so I'm giving him credit), I LOVE how he has LOOOOOOONG drawn-out shots where you either see the character staring and waiting for a response (sometimes almost painfully long), or how he keeps the camera rolling on a scene moving around from place to place for minutes at a time (most shots cut from scene to scene or angle to angle very quickly and rarely last more than 15 seconds).

I loved the movie and it even makes me want to read Upton Sinclair's "Oil", which the movie was adapted from. I highly recommend seeing it if you don't mind a long movie and a great story. I guess I would not recommend seeing it if you're one of those people that only like movies like "Blades of Glory", "High School Musical", "Not another teen movie", and all the Jackie Chan movies :-).

1 comment:

  1. finally got to see the infamous There Will Be Blood... Daniel-Day Lewis' performance was top-notch. He takes well to the overbearing, violent father-figure role -- he also did this in Gangs of New York.

    ReplyDelete