Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I'm finally done with my Associates Degree

Honestly, I feel like it's a huge accomplishment for me, but at the same time I'm embarassed to blog about it.

I started school 9 years ago at the University of Phoenix. I was able to finish 5 classes there and then my divorce forced me to put school on hold a couple of years. I had to work a part time job at night to make ends meet and on the nights I wasn't working, I had Caiden. Eventually I got caught up financially and was considering my options. My friends at work had all done the SLCC thing and encouraged me to give it a try.

I started off taking a mix of 2 on-campus classes and 2 on-line classes. My first semester I finished with 3 A's and a B. I thought I was a genius and that I'd be done with the JC thing in no time.

Then I got lazy.

I'm still lazy.

The on-line classes were super easy, but I can be a natural procrastinator, so sometimes I didn't do so well. Eventually the classes I could take became on-campus only, so it was harder to fit in more than 2 classes a semester. Then I started coaching football, so school was out during the fall, which left only Spring/Summer to take classes. I skipped a few of those Summer/Spring semesters here and there....

But, here I am. I had one class left this past semester (Math 1030). In order to take this class I had to get a "C" or better in Math 1010. I had a C-. I lied to my teacher that I did have a "C", but I coudln't register on-line because it had been over 2 semesters since I took Math 1010 (I lied again, it had been 2 years). I promised him I would take this class very serious and he won't have a problem with me. He added me to his class manually. I finished his class this semester with an "A".

I'm very proud of that grade. I've also struggled with Math. Sure, when I pay attention I "get it", but I forget it quite quickly and I still find it one of the most boring topics I've ever taken in school.

So here I am now....I'm not sure when I want to start my bachelors degree and what I want to major in. I was so slow to finish my associates because I had a career field already established. I'm making decent enough money to support my family and I really like my job and the "sky is the limit" with my career (no dead ends). I know that if I want to advance to executive-type levels, I at least need to have my degree, but now I'm not sure what to do.

At first I was going to get my degree in History, get accredited as a teacher and teach high school history. Well, that can't support a family, but I still thought I could get my degree in History, retire early, and teach (and maybe it's a possibility), but I'm really thinking to lean toward something oriented to my field of work. Decisions, Decisions. Still, it's great to know that the sky is the limit and I have control over my future.

3 comments:

  1. Tyler, congratulations! This is seriously good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler, we're so proud of you & all you've accomplished. I have a good friend that took 18 years to get her Bachelors, so continue on! You have your whole life ahead of you! Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to get mine. Like you. I have math to do

    ReplyDelete