Monday, June 01, 2009

Fence addition to the side of our house

It had been a while since I had done a decent project at our house and knowing me, you know I have to have a project to do. I decided I was tired of all the weeds growing through our chain-linked fence on the side of the house and having to cut them down with my weed eater was becoming a pain. I started off my saturday with removing an old chain linked fence that ran right up against my neighbor's wood fence. Leaves were collecting in between the two and I like wood anyway, so I removed the old chain-linked fence. Someday I plan on adding cedar fence posts to this fence line, but that will be a while.

Once my neighbor's wood fence ended, there was a chain-linked fence that continued to the front of our houses. My plan was to remove this chain-linked fence and utilized the existing posts to hang my fence rails.

Here is a picture of where the old chain link fence ran against my neighbors wood fence (I had already removed the chain linked fence before taking the picture). Someday this will all be 6" cedar slats.

05.31.09 Fence

Here is a before picture of the rest of the fence, which is chain-linked and where I'm going to put in the cedar fence.

05.31.09 Fence

Here is a picture of my gate on the right side of my house. I am going to turn this into a cedar gate as well with a proper lock.

05.31.09 Fence

Here it is after building the gate. I used the old gate frame and bolted wood rails to it in order to screw my cedar slats to it. It worked perfect.

05.31.09 Fence

This is how I hung the rails. I just used 2x4 holders and some self-tapping hex-head screws to screw them into the posts, then mounted the 2x4's to the holders. Worked perfect.

05.31.09 Fence

The slats went up pretty quickly. I could have done it much quicker, but if you notice the old Camero in the background, it was actually hanging over onto my fence line so we had to dig the tires out and push it back about 6". Now I don't have to look at an old Camero either :-).

05.31.09 Fence

Before

05.31.09 Fence

After

05.31.09 Fence

Glad it was all done. I can't wait to finish off the rest of the yard. Most people love Vinyl fences and I can understand why (because they last long), but I love a more natural look and I don't mind having to stain the fence every 2-3 years.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a huge difference! Great job, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree about the more natural look, the wooden fence. Looks really good--nice job!

    ReplyDelete