Friday, December 05, 2008

Blood Oranges

Blood Orange

I bought my first blood oranges the other day at the store. I didn't know they existed until I saw the opening sequence to the TV show Dexter.

Dexter is one of my favorite shows. It's on Showtime for a reason (language, graphic violence), but it's an odd idea for a show.

The show is basically about a forensics dude named Dexter Morgan, who uses his job as a cover for what he really is: A serial killer. He kills people that are guilty and get away with murder. He is very careful about ensuring they are guilty before doing what he does. He's very detailed and consistent with the way he does it. The show has everything: Comedy, Drama, Thrills, Intensity, Though-provoking, etc. I really love how they show Dexter struggling to act normal in society with a girlfriend, job, sister, etc. while he suffers with this urge to kill. It flashes back a lot to his youth and his father (a police officer) discovering his son's urge to kill and how his father taught him how to blend in with society, and how to use his urge for good.

I'm not an advocate for vigilantism and I do believe (for the most part) in our systems of courts and juries to sentence people, but this show, for the most part, is pure entertainment, but makes you think sometimes.

Here is the opening sequence to the show that introduced me to the Blood Orange. You'll see where the blood orange comes in:

No comments:

Post a Comment